We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Legendary Items System

After being away from the game for over 3 years it's come to my attention that the Legendary Items got revamped after an update rendering all my legendary gear obsolete. I put a lot of work into getting the recipes to craft legendary gear for my 9 characters only to discover this is no longer part of the game. One of the most enjoyable factors of this game was how the legendary system worked. I loved it. This new system is a joke. I only got enough Ancient Script to supply one of my characters not all 9 of them with legendary gear. This has been my experience so far and I'm not impressed.... The devs broke the game when they made this change. Overall I think it's a bad system in comparison to the old system. Bring the old system back. /rant

Quote Originally Posted by Anax_Basileus View Post
    After being away from the game for over 3 years it's come to my attention that the Legendary Items got revamped after an update rendering all my legendary gear obsolete. I put a lot of work into getting the recipes to craft legendary gear for my 9 characters only to discover this is no longer part of the game. One of the most enjoyable factors of this game was how the legendary system worked. I loved it. This new system is a joke. I only got enough Ancient Script to supply one of my characters not all 9 of them with legendary gear. This has been my experience so far and I'm not impressed.... The devs broke the game when they made this change. Overall I think it's a bad system in comparison to the old system. Bring the old system back. /rant
    I'm going to assume you didn't take the time to appraise any of those old LIs; try one or two, and you'll have enough Ancient Script to make your new stuff. The Reward Track also supplies lots of new legendary supplies. I also personally have found the new items much more powerful than the old ones. There are several excellent threads about the new system, it looks complicated and scary at first, but it gets better. Good luck.

The new system is better then the old system cause they made it so you can Appraise your old LIs to get new stuff, Apprising is giving what your LI is worth, so it gives you enough barter items for your character's LIs, if you have 9 characters with LIs then you have enough for all of them if you apprise all their LIs for barter items.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Bothketbog View Post
    I'm going to assume you didn't take the time to appraise any of those old LIs; try one or two, and you'll have enough Ancient Script to make your new stuff. The Reward Track also supplies lots of new legendary supplies. I also personally have found the new items much more powerful than the old ones. There are several excellent threads about the new system, it looks complicated and scary at first, but it gets better. Good luck.
    Not to be rude but how would he know what to do?
    He just returned and there is literally nothing written of these things in-game, only online.
    Not everyone knows where to look for guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    Ask in game using Chat, just like everyone else did for that first week when it first changed.

A simple '### happened to the LI system?' would have gotten him dozens of answers and links to where to read up on it.

Some kins have guides and videos related to new LI system, and many players give hints to returning people in WC

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    Ask in game using Chat, just like everyone else did for that first week when it first changed.

A simple '### happened to the LI system?' would have gotten him dozens of answers and links to where to read up on it.
    I did that no one responded to my complaints about the legendary system being broken.... not even a whisper.

I filed a support ticket on this matter.... they told me the same thing. I'm only just logging into game now to explore this appraisal system. If I can get all my characters back with legendary gear I'll be happy.

Now if only I could figure out how to do the appraisal on my old LI's smh
    EDIT: Found it.
    Last edited by Anax_Basileus; Mar 13 2023 at 05:34 PM.

Maybe it should be SSG's responsibility to provide basic game information to the player base?

It has been suggested in the past that we need some sort of ingame email sent when a legendary item requires attention. Something very simple that says go to the Last House and update your weapon. It could be based on level or first time log in since the system changed.

Asking in world chat is only good if you realize there is an issue you need to ask about and the answer is not always guaranteed. SSG could even do a legendary item intro quest like they do with other systems. When imbuement first happened there was guidance. The information was right at the forge master. At a minimum now I am not sure why the forge master does not have information to help people know where they should be going to get their old weapons appraised.

And it all depends on what you had before the new legendary system. It is very possible the weapons were not that good to begin with and appraisals did not return much. I have one account swimming in script. I have one account where I did not get enough back to put together more than one character's weapons. I only had two characters with legendary items and none on that account were at cap. The appraisal did not give me much in return. I went from first age weapons on two characters to bargain basement legendary items. I don't play those characters any longer. The grind in the weapons is not worth the time or effort for me. They are level locked characters used for a slowtro group where we ran old instances at the original cap so empty DPS sticks were not useful.

I did that no one responded to my complaints about the legendary system being broken.... not even a whisper.

I filed a support ticket on this matter.... they told me the same thing. I'm only just logging into game now to explore this appraisal system. If I can get all my characters back with legendary gear I'll be happy.
    This backs up what I was just saying but you other posters seem to think everyone will help at the drop of a hat. They don't and neither does SSG.

Anyway, OP, you can access your old LI panel if you can find the blue menu button on the bottom-left corner of your screen.
    Click it and you will see the words "Legendary Items"
    By clicking that, you will now be looking at your old LIs.
    Underneath the relics selection part on the UI, there should be a button to appraise your LIs which should give you some ancient script to start with.
    The runes and tracery tokens will be almost assuredly useless to you, though.

Also, keep in mind that there is a 10,000 cap for Ancient Script.
    While Ancient Script obtained from appraising your old LIs may exceed the cap, however, any other source will not.
    Fortunately, if I remember correctly, they changed it so you cannot flame a tracery if you are on the verge of losing out on Ancient Script.
    This was also done with Coffers of Ancient Script obtained through the Reward Track, which you can find by using the old hotkey for LIs (shift+I).
    How you progress the reward track is pretty much nothing new. Killing mobs and completing quests, just like how you leveled your old LIs.
    Since the cap is set at a pitifully low number compared to how many Ancient Script you will earn if you saw the Reward Track from start to finish,
    you will soon start to notice that your storage space will soon be suffocated to the point where you'd need to make a alternative character solely for more storage.

If any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: OP, may I ask you which server you play on? I can perhaps log to on to try and answer some questions if you prefer that way over the forums.
    Last edited by Pewpewmidget; Mar 13 2023 at 05:46 PM.

He just returned and there is literally nothing written of these things in-game, only online.
    Not everyone knows where to look for guidance.
    Google? The wiki?

Quote Originally Posted by Neinda View Post
    Maybe it should be SSG's responsibility to provide basic game information to the player base?

It has been suggested in the past that we need some sort of ingame email sent when a legendary item requires attention. Something very simple that says go to the Last House and update your weapon. It could be based on level or first time log in since the system changed.
    I concur. Not only a in-game letter but a tutorial for this stuff would be helpful.
    And by tutorial, I mean a taking someone step by step, not those flashing tutorial windows that almost everyone disables in the introduction area.

Google? The wiki?
    How about we not assume that people know what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Neinda View Post

Asking in world chat is only good if you realize there is an issue you need to ask about and the answer is not always guaranteed. SSG could even do a legendary item intro quest like they do with other systems. When imbuement first happened there was guidance. The information was right at the forge master. At a minimum now I am not sure why the forge master does not have information to help people know where they should be going to get their old weapons appraised.

And it all depends on what you had before the new legendary system. It is very possible the weapons were not that good to begin with and appraisals did not return much. I have one account swimming in script. I have one account where I did not get enough back to put together more than one character's weapons. I only had two characters with legendary items and none on that account were at cap. The appraisal did not give me much in return. I went from first age weapons on two characters to bargain basement legendary items. I don't play those characters any longer. The grind in the weapons is not worth the time or effort for me. They are level locked characters used for a slowtro group where we ran old instances at the original cap so empty DPS sticks were not useful.
    SSG don't provide much information about first LI system, right? Yes, they create guide for new LI system, but that guide don't have much needed details and very hard to find on lotro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    SSG don't provide much information about first LI system, right? Yes, they create guide for new LI system, but that guide don't have much needed details and very hard to find on lotro.com
    They didn't need to provide a guide because you were literally walked through it in the epic quests.
    Quest to identify, quest to slot relic, quest to level your LI to lvl 10, quest to reforge, etc, all before you get your 2nd LI.

I ran through the same area with numerous alts and never once got walked through anything.
    Quest to identify, quest to talk to the same guy, quest to talk to the same guy, quest to talk to the same guy, quest to return to the Gates of Moria.
    Nothing was taught or learned.

As a "casual" (but still fanatical) player who doesn't care as much about getting the best gear, I must say... even reading some of the guides, back then when it was released, and learning some of the basics, how to open the menu and what goes where from which barterers... I'm still not exactly sure how any of this works/advances and when exactly am I supposed to go and upgrade, not to mention the confusion of all these LI items now with level ranges and so many of them that drops seemingly useless and just an annoyance. Back then there were only 2-3 Anfalas items for this stuff - and a much clearer user-friendly UI - the end, everything was crystal clear (even if it had issues stat wise and such). Oh, and also no need to visit Elrond's and 4 different book shelfs with different barters. But who cares, I'm guessing I'm not going to upgrade my LI at all now, I certainly am not going back to get through the chore of figuring out level appropriate barters and putting them on my weapon again through this clunky UI...

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    As a "casual" (but still fanatical) player who doesn't care as much about getting the best gear, I must say... even reading some of the guides, back then when it was released, and learning some of the basics, how to open the menu and what goes where from which barterers... I'm still not exactly sure how any of this works/advances and when exactly am I supposed to go and upgrade, not to mention the confusion of all these LI items now with level ranges and so many of them that drops seemingly useless and just an annoyance. Back then there were only 2-3 Anfalas items for this stuff - and a much clearer user-friendly UI - the end, everything was crystal clear (even if it had issues stat wise and such). Oh, and also no need to visit Elrond's and 4 different book shelfs with different barters. But who cares, I'm guessing I'm not going to upgrade my LI at all now, I certainly am not going back to get through the chore of figuring out level appropriate barters and putting them on my weapon again through this clunky UI...
    When you done with basic setup, you get 90% of LI stuff from instances, quests and reward track. You don't need visit Archive every day

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    When you done with basic setup, you get 90% of LI stuff from instances, quests and reward track. You don't need visit Archive every day
    Maybe but in the old system I never needed to visit the archive sooooo. The new one pretty much seems like over glorified essences and I was annoyed by essences (and their drops and how many types/levels there were) to eleven degrees

There's a 100% difference in asking a question and complaining about something that happened months ago and can't be changed. I'm not surprised no one answered your complaints, But if you had ASKED for HELP I very much doubt you'd have been ignored.

Why does it seem like I the only one trying to help the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    There's a 100% difference in asking a question and complaining about something that happened months ago and can't be changed. I'm not surprised no one answered your complaints, But if you had ASKED for HELP I very much doubt you'd have been ignored.
    I often myself get ignored and I ask nicely for help. Please toot your horn somewhere else.

My first contact with the new system was very painful and I lost a lot of resources as a result. Some of that occurred after reading online guides, which were universally bad. Now that I understood how things work, I like the new system much better.

It should not be possible to deconstruct an old legendary item without first appraising it.

When trying to destroy an old legendary item without first appraising it, the player should receive a double nag warning.

It should not be possible to appraise a legendary item if doing so would send the account over the currency cap.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

https://dadislotroguides.com/new-leg...ossibly-u30-3/ - very heavy detailed guide. Also some good videos on youtube about LI

The original LI system was the headline feature of the game's first expansion, when dev and QA manpower was 5-10 times what it is now.

And moreover, everybody was entering the system at the same level, with no pre-existing LI's.

Little surprise, then, that they held your hand every step of the way.

In the recent LI revamp, the system was barely functional when released, with major components delayed for months (and the release of a half-finished meme class at the same time, and a bug-ridden expansion with utterly broken instances shortly after).

People have silly expectations for the level of polish in this low-budget, shoestring-operation game.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

< No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

If you get anyone in chat offering up help it means they will not have understood the LI complexities and have likely fallen into the most basic traps.

Most of the online help is from first sight of the system and in a rush to publish, if from prominent sources that will hamper finding more considered reviews and strategies to employ. Leaving such mis-informed "content" up does us a dis-service.

Top tips:
    Make and build LIs as you reach a new range. Be that 131, 121, 116, 106...
    Barter yellow random traceries to set the slot rank of that new range then remove and replace with your choice from appraisal.
    Maxed ILIs on a 100+ character will be better than any new LI up to 121+
    Don't over appraise and be left with an un-manageable Ancient Script over the inadequate cap.
    Appraisal enhancement runes might better be wholly left unused, left for characters reaching 121 in the future.
    For lower level, seek out LI barter options in the game for already earned local currency.
    Only when you reach the server level cap or the level your character is stoned should you consider fully enhancing and "max" them.
    As stoned character move up compare the new range minimum slot rank against rank gained already; to swap out and in.

Making them at 130 at introduction was a huge trap to waste players' "gifted" Enhancements and Ancient Script along with the MC of some eager Early Adopters. We were wasting around 50 enhancements per LI slot doing it before Gundabad. 23 slots per set per character, I kept 7.5k purples for alts' arrival at 121.

Code:
    Tracery Level Range	Starting Item Level	Maximum Item Level
    45-95	  	  	  	51	  	  	  	125
    86-105	  	  		126  	  	  		200
    101-115	  	  		201  	  	  		299
    106-120	  	  	  	300  	  	  		349
    116-130	  	  	  	350	  	  	  	399
    121-140	  	  	  	400  	  	  		499
    131-150	  	  	  	450  	  	  		499
    The max will change as you progress through the range; e.g. at 121 max is 415. Rising with re-forges to the end of the range.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Legendary_Item
    Has all the info but just tough to figure.
    Last edited by DoRonRon; Mar 13 2023 at 08:00 PM.

This backs up what I was just saying but you other posters seem to think everyone will help at the drop of a hat. They don't and neither does SSG.

Anyway, OP, you can access your old LI panel if you can find the blue menu button on the bottom-left corner of your screen.
    Click it and you will see the words "Legendary Items"
    By clicking that, you will now be looking at your old LIs.
    Underneath the relics selection part on the UI, there should be a button to appraise your LIs which should give you some ancient script to start with.
    The runes and tracery tokens will be almost assuredly useless to you, though.

Also, keep in mind that there is a 10,000 cap for Ancient Script.
    While Ancient Script obtained from appraising your old LIs may exceed the cap, however, any other source will not.
    Fortunately, if I remember correctly, they changed it so you cannot flame a tracery if you are on the verge of losing out on Ancient Script.
    This was also done with Coffers of Ancient Script obtained through the Reward Track, which you can find by using the old hotkey for LIs (shift+I).
    How you progress the reward track is pretty much nothing new. Killing mobs and completing quests, just like how you leveled your old LIs.
    Since the cap is set at a pitifully low number compared to how many Ancient Script you will earn if you saw the Reward Track from start to finish,
    you will soon start to notice that your storage space will soon be suffocated to the point where you'd need to make a alternative character solely for more storage.

If any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: OP, may I ask you which server you play on? I can perhaps log to on to try and answer some questions if you prefer that way over the forums.

THis worked exactly.... I got over 10k Ancient Script from all my legendary items on my main. Should be enough to supply my guys with gear now. Thanks for your help.

I'm still disappointed in this change. THe old system didn't need to be changed it worked fine. This new system sucks in comparison. What the devs should have done is add to the already existing system instead of redoing it completely. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast