We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Devs, what's the story behind the 'Stonehenge' of Tyrn Gorthad?

So at 43.4S 51.6W in Cardolan, in the southern Barrow-downs, there's a large multi-ringed stone circle. For such a special location I'm surprised that there's no POI marker for it. Was there a plan for something to be tied to this location that got scrapped? There are many other locations not as detailed which did get a POI marker.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

The POI isn't needed for everything though and the place had a name in a quest, The Standing Stones of Tyrn Gorthad, they called it. Considering POI's are part of the deed tracking I imagine they may want to reduce the numbers of those too.

Anyway, I doubt it's "unfinished" content. The only impression of things being unfinished players ever express is due to decent chunk of landmass that wasn't intended to be covered with bazillion of quests, from what I can tell. Although, it was a bit surprising they didn't have more adventoreous, at-the-spot, standalone quests for some of these mysterious empty places and ruins. Not a big deal now and I prefer spacey landscapes to narrow ones, no matter the amount of content. But maybe it can be alleviated one day and made more alive all across the board across entire Middle-earth with some alternative landscape activities and nodes such as relics to be found in all those places.

Hide & seek

In addition to the 2 or 3 quests that send you there. It has a location point for an explorer deed, quest NPCs ( 2 off many scattered about Cardolan who are good at hiding) with quests back in Dol Ernil & or in the named ruins East off Tyrn Gorthad & South off Dol Ernil, plus 2 off the trophy hunt elites for Cardolan
    Last edited by Periadot; Mar 01 2023 at 05:36 AM.
    No King, No Law, Utopia!

Scenario is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    This location did have an internal name but it doesn't look like a landmark was made for it. Not sure the reason for that.

Cardolan is kind of a unique ruin experience in LOTRO where many of the ruins scattered randomly through it do not have names associated with them. Old ruins with their names forgotten to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    This location did have an internal name but it doesn't look like a landmark was made for it. Not sure the reason for that.

Cardolan is kind of a unique ruin experience in LOTRO where many of the ruins scattered randomly through it do not have names associated with them. Old ruins with their names forgotten to time.
    Why would their names be forgotten to time? Aren't they third age ruins?

Quote Originally Posted by SingularityNow View Post
    Why would their names be forgotten to time? Aren't they third age ruins?
    Cardolan was finally abandoned around 1700TA. The time period that we're in now is 1300 years later, around 3017-3018.
    Various Hobbits, Thwilda the dwarf lass, and Gnersk, Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    This location did have an internal name but it doesn't look like a landmark was made for it. Not sure the reason for that. Cardolan is kind of a unique ruin experience in LOTRO where many of the ruins scattered randomly through it do not have names associated with them. Old ruins with their names forgotten to time.
    Thanks. What was the internal name for it, out of curiosity? The many scattered ruins throughout the zone are great. Seems like every time I go to take a landscape screenshot there's a fine ruin in the background that I need to adjust my camera for; Caranost especially gets into a lot of shots.

And I'll have to find it again, but there's at least one ruin that has a name (according to the radar UI) that doesn't have a POI flag on the map. I found that unusual.
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by Periadot View Post
    In addition to the 2 or 3 quests that send you there. It has a location point for an explorer deed, quest NPCs ( 2 off many scattered about Cardolan who are good at hiding) with quests back in Dol Ernil & or in the named ruins East off Tyrn Gorthad & South off Dol Ernil, plus 2 off the trophy hunt elites for Cardolan
    I don't recall being sent there directly for any quest. There's the Ashmound Memorial from The Ravaging of Cardolan Deed which is just south of 'Stonehenge'. I got the impression that the mound to the south of the Memorial was the Ashmound. When you say 'explorer deed' are you talkng about the Ashmound Memorial? There are the 2 NPC's that are east of 'Stonehenge'. The 2 named enemies for the Trophy Hunt are nearby. And there's a Treasure Chest for the Treasure of Cardolan Deed SW of 'Stonehenge'. That's a lot of nearby activity for a place that has no name/POI flag.

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Trainer of the Rabbits
    Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    What was the internal name for it, out of curiosity?
    TBD

*scnr*