We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Emotes: great fun or weapon in the hand of the idiots

Emotes created just for fun and joy, can regrettably be used by every unpolished and rude person to harass others.

This is not a joke at all.

Personally, many times I became target of emote attack by some idiots and I could not react at all.

With these emotes at hand, every malicious player can harass others at any time and unfortunately no one can stop his action.

We are all exposed at the mercy of every fool enjoying to ruin the playing of other players just using some emotes.

So I very seriously suggest you to completly remove from the list all that emotes can be applied on others as benefits.

Otherwise, I strongly recommend you adding the following emotes such as "spit in the face", "punch", "humiliate" "piss","####" and "f...."
    because they're really missing from the list and for this amazing collection to be completed.
    Last edited by AegisRegnat; Feb 09 2023 at 07:36 PM.

No.

~CaptainCaptain

Are you referring to the emotes that cause you to fall asleep, get knocked down, etc? Those can be turned off so they don't impact you. Check the "Involuntary Emotes" button in settings.

If you are just referring to them emoting you out of annoyance (i.e there was an idiot on Gladden that would just slap me 20 times because he had an issue with my Kin even through it was years before I played the game), then you can't do much about that. I think even putting them on ignore didn't solve that.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaptain View Post
    No.

~CaptainCaptain
    if there was a magic button that when you pressed it kick out the idiots who disturb you with applied benefits, then I would understand your dry no.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0striven View Post
    Are you referring to the emotes that cause you to fall asleep, get knocked down, etc? Those can be turned off so they don't impact you. Check the "Involuntary Emotes" button in settings.

If you are just referring to them emoting you out of annoyance (i.e there was an idiot on Gladden that would just slap me 20 times because he had an issue with my Kin even through it was years before I played the game), then you can't do much about that. I think even putting them on ignore didn't solve that.
    Thank you very much, I din't know that and I'll certainly use this option.

But, I mean those kind of emotes like swirling bats, cowardly, fluffy frost etc, and even slap, why not, it has become disgusting.
    Last edited by AegisRegnat; Feb 09 2023 at 07:38 PM.

yeah forced emotes are annoying.
    I had requested when they first came out, that we either have a way to turn them off, or maybe if the person doing them, did them to someone that opted out it woudl reflect back on them.
    Luckily we did get the ability to turn forced emotes off.

I also think, because it costs so much to get a permanent version, this causes to the distress. 300 is a lot to do, if it was 30, maybe, they'd get it and mostly be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    yeah forced emotes are annoying.
    I had requested when they first came out, that we either have a way to turn them off, or maybe if the person doing them, did them to someone that opted out it woudl reflect back on them.
    Luckily we did get the ability to turn forced emotes off.

I also think, because it costs so much to get a permanent version, this causes to the distress. 300 is a lot to do, if it was 30, maybe, they'd get it and mostly be done with it.
    I totally agree with what you're saying, it's just too many emotes to get the entire collection.
    And I have to say that many of them completely ruins the Lord of the Rings feeling.

So, am I really done with annoying emotes using this option? I'm sooo glad to hear that!

The option for turning off grief emotes has never worked properly. Some grief emotes bypass it entirely. It blocks maybe half of most grief emotes. Many grief emotes also violate the grief emote global cooldown, making it possible to launch a grief emote barrage. I have experienced these things many times over the last couple months. People nowadays have no notion of courtesy or restraint. Playing at night is the only thing that actually helps.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish all of you many successful and happy adventures., brave Ladies and Lords of Middle Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by AegisRegnat View Post
    Emotes created just for fun and joy, can regrettably be used by every unpolished and rude person to harass others.
    Personally, many times I became target of emote attack by some idiots and I could not react at all.
    With these emotes at hand, every malicious player can harass others at any time and unfortunately no one can stop his action.
    We are all exposed at the mercy of every fool enjoying to ruin the playing of other players just using some emotes.
    So I very seriously suggest you to completly remove from the list all that emotes can be applied on others as benefits.
    1st you go into Options and turn OFF 'involuntary emotes' and 2nd you right click on your chat tab > change filters > and unclick 'emotes'. They can do whatever they want now and you shouldn't ever see a thing.
    Last edited by Nebless; Feb 09 2023 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieTheEnchantress View Post
    The option for turning off grief emotes has never worked properly. Some grief emotes bypass it entirely. It blocks maybe half of most grief emotes. Many grief emotes also violate the grief emote global cooldown, making it possible to launch a grief emote barrage. I have experienced these things many times over the last couple months. People nowadays have no notion of courtesy or restraint. Playing at night is the only thing that actually helps.
    Completely unacceptable for an online game like this, to do whatever they want people with weird moods and for everyone who really wants to enjoy the game waiting for the idiots to go to bed so that they can play undisturbed.

They're really forcing us to regret for the money we spent and the time we wasted for the game....

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    They can do whatever they want now and you shouldn't ever see a thing.
    Wait... you mean everyone will see what an idiot can do with grief emotes, except me? This is very important to know because I do not ask for such a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieTheEnchantress View Post
    The option for turning off grief emotes has never worked properly. Some grief emotes bypass it entirely.
    Really? Which emotes? I turn off involuntary emotes for all of my characters and only ever see "Immune". Haven't ever seen a forced emote bypass that setting.

Wait... you mean everyone will see what an idiot can do with grief emotes, except me? This is very important to know because I do not ask for such a solution.
    That's right, disabling involuntary emotes will make them invisible to you but others will still see them. Actually you may still SEE the ones that affect an area, like the snow-jar one that knocks out a bunch of people with snow, but you won't be knocked out yourself.

I probably count as one of the idiots. At festival time I'll run around using my emotes on people to get my deeds done. But I do make a point to aim at people who are AFK or just standing around, not people who are running or crafting or actively doing something. I encourage anyone who doesn't like it to disable their emotes, and anyone who does like it is welcome to emote right back at me!

(I initially thought this was a troll post at first. If it is, ignore the rest of what I'm saying here, please.)

I have never personally witnessed an "emote attack". I have been playing off and on for...longer than I can count. And I have never witnessed it myself. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen. I believe 100% that it does. But I do not think it is common enough to justify taking the toys away from everybody. Nor do I think you are acting in good faith to compare it to being spit on or punched in the face. (That was the thing that made me think this was a troll post, actually.)

What I HAVE witnessed, personally:

1.) A few fun emotes released at festivals that did funny things when you used them. I had an absolute blast with them when they were first released. My friends and I all loved them.

2.) A few people complaining very loudly about said emotes, leading to a toggle to turn said effects off. I never understood the problem with them, myself, at the time. And the people who disliked them REALLY disliked them. I don't mind that they added a toggle for it. I even use it on a few of my own characters who lack a sense of humor. But I think it would be a nice addition if they allowed one to use the emotes on NPCs, too, since to earn the emote, you have to grind consumables. I realize that you can still "use" them on players who have the toggle activated, but I don't want to use them on people who it's a sore spot for at all. And I think the grindiness of them is part of what makes them so annoying, since people have to use them many, many times to get the emote in the first place. So, just a suggestion.

3.) A player harassing me to the point where I had to put them on ignore for using ONE festival emote on them at festival time, ONCE, which has made me hesitant to use any festival emotes in-game again, even though I rather like them and even among friends.

4.) An increase in people who have the toggle turned on, but then they also run around using the emotes liberally at festival time to others. The types of people, I suppose, who one would say "they can dish it out, but can't take it". They are no fun, and I don't play with them.

5.) An increase in areas, DEDICATED to bands, etc. Stages set up around the world, etc. where an effect is put in place such that nobody can USE emotes. These areas are no fun, as evidenced by the fact that they are consistently ignored while bands play directly next to them (particularly in Bree), where people have fun, use emotes, etc just fine. These stages have become an eye sore to me, and they serve little purpose since they are not being used as much as they aren't. They are merely a reminder that no fun allowed, means quite literally NO FUN, for anybody.

The way that I see it, there will ALWAYS be annoying people, idiots, whatever, wherever you go. The only way to protect you from them would be to prevent you from logging on or by making a private server for you, I guess. I think it would be nice if when you put somebody on ignore, they literally didn't even show up in-game for you at all (no character, no auction listings, etc.), but I'm not sure that will ever happen. So my best suggestion to you would be to use the toggle, ignore idiots so you at least don't get bothered by them in chat, and move to a private location if they continue to bother you. If they follow you after that and keep harassing you, report them please. I don't think anybody wants to play with somebody like that.
    Paint the Sky with Stars

Quote Originally Posted by paintpixie View Post
    (I initially thought this was a troll post at first. If it is, ignore the rest of what I'm saying here, please.).............
    Dear paintpixie,

This post is not a troll. You could say it is a voice of protest against perhaps the biggest failure of LOTRO: the emotes.

I am not speaking selfishly when I suggest that a dozens of emotes be removed from the list, but I am speaking as a player who truly loved LOTRO and because of the failed management by those in charge, I have come to the point where I am seriously considering finish with LOTRO permantly, because I have suffered enough from all those I call idiots here. It's not fair at all to spend your money and time on something you love dearly and have some idiots completely ruin your dream because of emotes. Well if they want emotes so badly then they should put some responsible people in place to directly control all those who abuse emotes at the expense of others. And that is currently not being done, unfortunately.

And yes, there is a small amount of gentle irony in my final sentence, but it's completely reasonable, because when you create a huge list of so many emotes you surely intend to include all facets of human behavior to give players the illusion that it makes the game more realistic. So I also suggest the above emotes to be included in the list to make it really completed, since they don't really care that most of them ruin the whole nice feeling of the game called Lord of the Rings. Personally, I find most of the emotes to be an unimaginable turn off. Emotes just humiliate the Lord of the Rings, that's a bitter truth...

And please, ignore any syntax error because I'm using a translator.

Dear paintpixie,

This post is not a troll. You could say it is a voice of protest against perhaps the biggest failure of LOTRO: the emotes.

I am not speaking selfishly when I suggest that a dozens of emotes be removed from the list, but I am speaking as a player who truly loved LOTRO and because of the failed management by those in charge, I have come to the point where I am seriously considering finish with LOTRO permantly, because I have suffered enough from all those I call idiots here. It's not fair at all to spend your money and time on something you love dearly and have some idiots completely ruin your dream because of emotes. Well if they want emotes so badly then they should put some responsible people in place to directly control all those who abuse emotes at the expense of others. And that is currently not being done, unfortunately.

And yes, there is a small amount of gentle irony in my final sentence, but it's completely reasonable, because when you create a huge list of so many emotes you surely intend to include all facets of human behavior to give players the illusion that it makes the game more realistic. So I also suggest the above emotes to be included in the list to make it really completed, since they don't really care that most of them ruin the whole nice feeling of the game called Lord of the Rings. Personally, I find most of the emotes to be an unimaginable turn off. Emotes just humiliate the Lord of the Rings, that's a bitter truth...

And please, ignore any syntax error because I'm using a translator.
    I'm not sure what language you play the game in but here is the best image I could find as an example:

https://www.linawillow.org/home/wp-c.../events-06.jpg

In case it isn't clear or you can't translate it, make sure "enable involuntary emotes" is unselected in your options, and you shouldn't be forced to have festival emotes done on you anymore.

If somebody in game is harassing you with other emotes, (like slap, kiss, or whatever), ask them to stop. If they don't stop, report them. I'm not sure if they have people who can assist in other languages, but I would assume they do since they have multiple language servers.

Best of luck. I hope you are able to make it so you can have a pleasant experience here.
    Paint the Sky with Stars

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaptain View Post
    No.

~CaptainCaptain
    I fully agree.

By allowing idiocy we can detect idiots.

Also, idiocy is usually an illness that all us pass sooner or later (and again... and again...).

So we need to be called idiots.

As long as we don't use Brawndo, the thirst mutilator, for crafting farming recipes (as it has electrolytes, and that's what plants crave) I'm fine.
    Last edited by Carallot; Feb 10 2023 at 06:48 PM.
    Dear reader, I tend to edit my posts A LOT, sorry. Please don't be hasty, thank you!

Best of luck. I hope you are able to make it so you can have a pleasant experience here.
    Thank you so much for your assistance, Thank you all guys, I appreciate it. Have a great day everyone!

4.) An increase in people who have the toggle turned on, but then they also run around using the emotes liberally at festival time to others. The types of people, I suppose, who one would say "they can dish it out, but can't take it"
    I have to admit I'm guilty of this. I have them turned off because of people who use them in actual questing areas and serious parts of the game- I don't want you to hypnotize/disable/faint/whatever my character while I'm talking to Durin in Gundabad.

I myself use these emotes only in festival areas when it's part of a deed, just a few each day. It would be more fair if I made a point of removing my setting when I'm in a festival- although I think people still get Deed credit for using them on an immune person.

So, let me add this in, while I do not like the forced emotes, and I have them turned off, I woudl rather the cost of getting them, for others that want them to be less.
    My reason is, there is a " once I get it permanent, I wont use it as much" thing that does happen with these.
    If it takes 300 uses of these, people that want it will be determined, and go out of their way to use it.

Secondly, some are less intrusive and are fine ( and as a musician that likes to use game elements an emotes for performance, they can have uses )
    I would like forced emotes to reflect, on someone using them, if, the target has them off. I think that should be how these work.

I think forced emotes should also be turned off by default, and a instruction pop up when you obtain one, or have one used on you, pop up once to tell you if you want it on you can turn it on, and how to do so.

I do not want to see them go away, because there are people that like them.

I even have some of the forced ones, I think is cute.. ( Gross bugs ) hehe.
    Bottom line though, I dont want them gone. With the toggle turning them off, I have them off, I am not too much bothered by them, and in certain areas they are off, due to mechanics of the game that can be disrupted, and or, concerts ruined by forced emotes.
    But, yeah maybe a reflect back on the user could be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa_Joel View Post
    I think forced emotes should also be turned off by default, and a instruction pop up when you obtain one, or have one used on you, pop up once to tell you if you want it on you can turn it on, and how to do so.
    Thank you so much for mentioning this, I was ready to write it myself but you caught up with me.
    Well, that is the right thing to do from now on in order to protect all those who have no idea about these arrangements from the fury of the revelers with the stupid emotes.

But unfortunately I have to say here that obviously the game managers thought about it from the beginning, but they deliberately left it on for the obvious reason that turning it off might have cost them some emotes revenue.

Sadly, they don't care if LOTRO becomes a parody, but rather they care about the money they earn from it.
    And I want to say to them: Protect your people who support LOTRO from all those who respect nothing and no one.

Finally, most emotes are completely irrelevant to the true feeling of the game. I can't imagine a bold warrior in heavy armor behaving like the virgin on the first wedding night...
    It's just disgusting like most of the emotes. Just stop humiliating the Lord of the Rings.