We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Where's the thread that details setting up CrossOver [22/21] to play under Monterey?

I've setup a new APFS volume (on a new SSD) and installed Monterey onto it and upgraded it to 12.6.1. This is going to be my test environment for finally transitioning away from Mojave so want to see what apps besides Lotro will not work on Monterey as-is and what I can do resolve those issues if I still want to continue using those apps.

First up of course is Lotro. So I'm looking through this forum searching for the thread that gives the details on getting Crossover 22/21 setup to run Lotro but I'm not finding it. I see parts of it quoted in other threads but can't find the original thread. I'm going to re-download the game files onto the new volume so not worried about saving disk space by re-using what's currently installed in Mojave. Thanks.

Ok, I found "Success with Mac M1, crossover 21.1 and macOS Monterey 12.0.1". Seems to be a good starting point. I'm using CrossOver 22. I saw the warning about using this rather than 21.2 but apparently if you create a Windows 10 64-bit bottle before starting the Lotro install, a problem reported by others users shouldn't occur.

Currently the Lotro Launcher is downloading files (including hi-res).

Hi, Roland! You shouldn't run into any issues but I'm ready to assist if needed.

This thread is the best synopsis of my current recommendations:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...nder-Crossover

The essentials of my notes from that thread:

Install Crossover, create a Windows 10 64-bit bottle, install "DirectX for Modern Games" into the bottle, check your bottle settings, download the Windows installer, use the Crossover INSTALL A WINDOWS APPLICATION tool to install from that executable you just downloaded (NOT the "Crosstie" automated installation method), and especially if you already have a known-good UserPreferences.ini file already in your ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder, it should just work. After being sure it works, you can change to the 64-bit client and probably even DirectX 11, and then bump your graphics settings up!

Download the "PC Download" and then install from that rather than using the automated "Crosstie" method. The Crosstie does work for most people but it sometimes creates the wrong bottle type. Unfortunately, the Crosstie is not under our control, it represents what someone at Codeweavers thinks is best for LOTRO and that someone makes frequent changes and is often wrong. In their defense, they have a huge Crosstie database and can't be expected to have an expert on every single possible Windows application on their payroll.

Hi Tralfazz.

I went to bed while it was still downloading. However, the download hadn't completed when I woke up. It was just sitting there doing nothing (perhaps a Mac or windows setting quiesced network traffic after. a certain "inactive" time). So I clicked "Pause" and "Resume" and it continued on. No installation issues. I did an initial login but then quit the launcher to copy over UserPreferences.ini from Mojave. When it first launched it asked if I wanted to use DirectX11 and I let it. Logged into a toon just fine. Noticed my key mappings weren't set to my liking so I quit lotro and copied over lotro.keymap from Mojave. Restarted lotro and haven't detected any issues thus far.
    Last edited by Roland_Deschain; Nov 24 2022 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    I went to bed while it was still downloading. However, the download hadn't completed when I woke up. It was just sitting there doing nothing (perhaps a Mac or windows setting quiesced network traffic after. a certain "inactive" time). So I clicked "Pause" and "Resume" and it continued on. No installation issues. I did an initial login but then quit the launcher to copy over UserPreferences.ini from Mojave. When it first launched it asked if I wanted to use DirectX11 and I let it. Logged into a toon just fine. Noticed my key mappings weren't set to my liking so I quit lotro and copied over lotro.keymap from Mojave. Restarted lotro and haven't detected any issues thus far.
    Great job!

So I clicked "Pause" and "Resume" and it continued on.
    The installation download stalling is very common, it happens to both Mac users and PC users. And the solution you exercised was exactly what has worked for me and other people in the past. Excellent!

copy over UserPreferences.ini....copied over lotro.keymap
    The easiest thing to do is to copy over the entire folder:
    ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online
    That's the one to back up regularly, too.

Only thing left is to be sure you are running the 64-bit client. Open UserPreferences.ini and be sure this line is exactly like so:
    GameClientType=3
    If so, great! if not, change it to match then save the file.

I'm still bouncing between running Lotro on Monterey with Crossover and running on Mohave and haven't had any issues on Monterey. I did buy a Crossover license when the 60% discount was in effect.

So I noticed in your screenshot that "High Resolution Mode" is not enabled. I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of this setting is. I couldn't find much info on it with a google search (i.e. crossover "high resolution mode"). I run Lotro on an iMac with a 27" Retina 5K display.

So I noticed in your screenshot that "High Resolution Mode" is not enabled. I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of this setting is. I couldn't find much info on it with a google search (i.e. crossover "high resolution mode"). I run Lotro on an iMac with a 27" Retina 5K display.
    Enabling "High Resolution Mode" for your bottle forces every application running in that bottle to adopt the full native resolution of your monitor (or rather, your system output to your monitor). Your 27" iMac has a full native resolution of 5120x2880. Forcing that on LOTRO will make it very hard to read the non-scaling fonts in the LOTRO Launcher application and your computer will struggle to maintain your quality settings at a decent frame rate while driving 14.7mil pixels rather than the default "retina" resolution of 2560x1440 which is "only" 3.7mil pixels.

Besides, you can always go "full native" resolution on your Mac any time you want by going to System Settings->Displays and choosing it, then switching back to something more generally useful when you're done. You can also use your monitor's "full native" resolution for LOTRO by going to OPTIONS->GRAPHICS to switch to Full Screen Mode and just changing the RESOLUTION value to 5120x2880. Who knows? You might like it! But probably not, mainly due to UI and font scaling problems that are specific to LOTRO and performance issues related to all those pixels your computer will be struggling to control all at once.

Crossover's "High Resolution Mode" toggle exists because some Windows applications don't play well with UHD/"retina" resolutions. LOTRO has some issues with such resolutions, too, but they are fairly minor and only exhibit when the game client is set to Full Screen Mode; and even then usually only at "first launch" – not subsequent runs of the client.

edit: A bit more explanation here:
    https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...Quick-question
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Dec 28 2022 at 05:49 PM.