We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Quick question

Quick question

In the new Crossover UI, there is an option for "High Resolution Mode." Should I enable it? P.S. The game is running great now, so probably "Ain't broke, don't fix it."

No, but you can if you want to. But you won’t want to!

Quote Originally Posted by Bothketbog View Post
    In the new Crossover UI, there is an option for "High Resolution Mode." Should I enable it? P.S. The game is running great now, so probably "Ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Good question!

That option was always available in the list of bottle settings. The bottle settings weren’t “in your face” in the main Crossover window in older versions of Crossover as they are now in the right column of the main Crossover window in Crossover 22.

The game will run with High Resolution Mode enabled but you probably won’t be able to play it unless you have Elf eyes or enjoy using a hand-held magnifier. It will force all applications to use the full native resolution of your monitor. For example, I have a 21.5” 2019 Intel iMac which has a 4K monitor. That’s 4096x2304. But I never use it that way. I use a “retina” or UHD resolution of 2048x1152. It looks like the “native” resolution of my display because that is the magic of the way “retina”/UHD systems combine multiple pixels to appear as a single pixel to the naked eye. And I can read the text! Something nearly impossible to do at full native 4K. And remember that LOTRO has only limited tools for adjusting UI elements – especially text – to accommodate different resolutions, especially very high resolutions. Windows and dialogue boxes which have fixed sizes defined by X pixels wide by Y pixels tall will appear very small, too; including the entire LOTRO Launcher application window.

It won’t hurt anything to try it, you can simply quit out of the game and disable High Resolution Mode once your experiment is over.

Note that in the case of LOTRO, if you really want to run the client in full native resolution, you don’t need Crossover’s High Resolution Mode enabled to do it. Just set your monitor to its full 4K (or whatever) native resolution and then launch the game in Full Screen Windowed mode, or set the game to Full Screen mode and then use the in-game options to change the game’s full screen resolution to the maximum your monitor can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Good question!

That option was always available in the list of bottle settings. The bottle settings weren’t “in your face” in the main Crossover window in older versions of Crossover as they are now in the right column of the main Crossover window in Crossover 22.

The game will run with High Resolution Mode enabled but you probably won’t be able to play it unless you have Elf eyes or enjoy using a hand-held magnifier. It will force all applications to use the full native resolution of your monitor. For example, I have a 21.5” 2019 Intel iMac which has a 4K monitor. That’s 4096x2304. But I never use it that way. I use a “retina” or UHD resolution of 2048x1152. It looks like the “native” resolution of my display because that is the magic of the way “retina”/UHD systems combine multiple pixels to appear as a single pixel to the naked eye. And I can read the text! Something nearly impossible to do at full native 4K. And remember that LOTRO has only limited tools for adjusting UI elements – especially text – to accommodate different resolutions, especially very high resolutions. Windows and dialogue boxes which have fixed sizes defined by X pixels wide by Y pixels tall will appear very small, too; including the entire LOTRO Launcher application window.

It won’t hurt anything to try it, you can simply quit out of the game and disable High Resolution Mode once your experiment is over.

Note that in the case of LOTRO, if you really want to run the client in full native resolution, you don’t need Crossover’s High Resolution Mode enabled to do it. Just set your monitor to its full 4K (or whatever) native resolution and then launch the game in Full Screen Windowed mode, or set the game to Full Screen mode and then use the in-game options to change the game’s full screen resolution to the maximum your monitor can produce.
    Yep all around. On a 27" iMac, so no plans to go native. Thanks for the quick response. (I use 2560x1440 in Full Screen Windowed mode and it's fine.)