We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jbarr123 is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Lord of the Puns

I remeber when ...

Ok with the new content coming out and with the number of founders dwindling I thought it would be a bit of fun for all those of us who were here at the beginning to recount some of the stuff we remember happening in the game. Things like the days before housing or when the bank vault only had 45 spaces in it. Things that have become common place now that were not even a part of vanilla LOTRO. Heck there are probably some of you that remember areas like Angmar going through 2 rounds of changes(lord of the boars anyone?).

So here is a great place to recount all you favorite things of the past before they change again.

To get it started I remeber back when the hobbit pushing a wheel barrel between the party tree and hobbiton was stuck. he pushed that thing from dawn to dusk and from dusk to dawn and never moved an inch. I felt so bad for him I reported that bug 4 times

I remember the first time I got attacked by a deer in Evindum. That was a bit of a shock. of course they would auto agro and not just threaten back in those days. There I was running through an area that was only 10 lvls above my hobbit mini and making sure to steer clear of the mobs that would agro and stay close to the wildlife that would ignore me and BAM something hits me from behind. I spin around all confused looking for what had uncloaked only to be smacked by the deer a second time. I tried to turn and run but by then it was too late. 3rd and 4th hit came down and I was dead. What a horrid experience.

Well that should get you going. You can all fill in your fun moments from the past. be they good or bad just fill them in so that when we get flooded by all the new players that are expected can see just how far this wonderful game has changed.

P.S. why do I feel like an old man sitting in a rocking chair. the only thing that is missing is the weekly trips to helegrod trudging through snow up to our waist up hill both ways.
    Melnordan-Warden,Melainel-Hunter,Mellarain-Loremaster,Zoltrix-Guardian,Xabbu-Minstrel,Melraindor-Runekeeper
    Pie anyone?

Re: I remeber when ...

Quote Originally Posted by jbarr123 View Post
    P.S. why do I feel like an old man sitting in a rocking chair. the only thing that is missing is the weekly trips to helegrod trudging through snow up to our waist up hill both ways.
    GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU CRAZY KID!

The good old days, before housing, before costumes, hunters ruled the world. No quest tracker. You had to actually run from one end of Bree to the other, and to Combe, but many people avoided Bree anyway because of the lag.

There was a neat time in the early stages when many weapons were unbound. You could use them for a while and then trade them to someone else to use. That didn't last long.

I do like that the crafted champion horns are still that way today. Sort of an honorable passing down of the horn.
    [B]Magnarr [/B] - Lvl 85 Champion
    Leader, United Races (Vilya server)
    Cofounder and Leader, Vilya Alliance coalition of kinships
    [url]www.UnitedRaces.net[/url] [url]www.VilyaAlliance.com[/url]

Irememberwen.... (little joke there)

Hyper Helegrod Runs.
    Getting up for 7:00 AM every SATURDAY (yes I got up that early) and running The Rift until mid-afternoon. Never did get the Balrog, well not before the inception of Retro Runs (Thanks Jeanna!), but had plenty of good times and fun with the Breakfast Club.
    When my Main was a Captain... until at 50(cap) I decided to quick level an explorer in order to farm mats for my Capt's Weaponsmithing and thereby created my now current main.
    Amarthiel... oh Amarthiel. When she ambushed me, yes me... all by myself! As it were we got a group together to go into Urugarth. They all zoned in, and I guess I was taking my time. Then something hits me. ***? I look around, and to my utter Horror its Amarthiel and Friends. Well thank you voice chat ... "Umm get back out here and help me guys!!"
    Joining The Family... a mere few days after the game went Live. And look, we're still here!
    Then: Ballad, Swing, Ballad, Swing... Now: Ballad-ballad-ballad, what's an auto attack??

This is a good idea, look forward to reading some more.
    [COLOR=#696969][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000009436a/01005/signature.png]Medical[/charsig][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=silver][I]Fortune Favors the Bold[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

nehwrebemerI....

Popping Guardian's Pledge put me over 100% block. And 100% parry. And not by a little bit either.....
    Thrust was the only Bleed a Guardian had. And it was never used. Cos it was really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad.
    Unless you were a hunter, you couldn't move and shoot a ranged weapon at the same time.
    The forums were flooded with "Insertnamehere is a node-ninja!" posts.
    Last edited by RusselDog; Sep 01 2010 at 10:57 PM.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"I wonder what causes this, and if it could be changed," shows a much deeper thought process than, "Is it laziness or incompetence that prevents my desires from being fulfilled?"[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=blue][B]floon[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow]"There are no limits to the devious plans of Sapience™"[/COLOR][COLOR=blue] ~ [B]Tolero[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000052200/01001/signature.png]Borihnon[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Teklord View Post
    Irememberwen.
    Was totally thinking that when I first saw the post. Taking part in Irememberwen's wedding ceremony was really cool.

Remembering the initial downtime of Sept.'07 when the population was super low, it was sure neat how kinships banded together to make something fantastic. Sorry about the Unite channel idea though, lol. At least it's still useful on occasion.

I remember when:
    - The Old Forest was dangerous and you could get lost
    - Etched Beryl recipes alone cost 2g+
    - The bank was filled with keys
    - Players gathered and manually jammed in groups by the Prancing Pony Tavern prior to .abc files (man that was cool)
    - There were no 50's and everyone was learning together
    - Shard hunting was something of a sport, and they were hard to get

All I can think of at the moment. Certainly wouldn't mind returning to those days sometimes.

Irememberwen's Barz impersonations

BONES! BONES! BONES!

Vent Lag for Yuchi..... In the middle of looting the chest from the Balrog, in Vent all of a sudden we hear AIRBORN!! AIRBORN!!

On my first Balrog attempt Arestor testing the green water in the Everseerer's room to see if it would kill him....

"I am going to Mushroom a Ninja..." Theadus

Nalya being funny on a /roll and doing /roll 10000 and getting a 1 (have a screenshot to prove it )

VA Chicken run to Forochel Ghost Ship.... Stupid stealthed barghest...

Both VA Anniversary Parties. They were both a blast and a lot of fun.

Beating the Balrog and Thorog for the first time.... It was epic...

And MOST IMPORTANT....

I remember when all raids formed on top of the stable in Bree before heading out...

EDIT: Have to add the VA Balrog Marathon the Saturday before Moria launched.... killed the Balrog 5 times in one day!

Month of the Hunter! We got HS then...

Winning the roll for the ornate key was as valuable as winning anything.

LFF'ing in Angamr and getting responses

Bogbereth was the only raid in the game

Hill Defender

Seeing LFF for Mini's, offerring silver

Lalia!

Taking the scrying pool to creepside and going wth??
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

Camping Snowback
    Camping Hoartusk
    Camping Sagrurz
    Camping Gnashmaw
    Doing constant cd runs from 48-50 in hopes of getting 8.5 done
    It taking an hour just to get to CD
    EVERYONE HIT GREEN AND RUN FOR IT!
    ...Fornost...
    When I didn't have warspeech
    Gold Selling LM's at South Bree
    Replying to people asking WHERE IS SARA OAKHART for Book 9
    That quest in Angmar where you had to kill crawlers and the drop rate was horrrrrrrible.

jbarr123 is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Lord of the Puns

You young scally wags really know how to make an old gamer smile.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrMagic View Post
    "I am going to Mushroom a Ninja..." Theadus
    Oh I was on that run!!
    That was the run that my hunter tanked the balrog. oh sure it was only for like 3 attacks and everyone else was dead already but she still tanked the balrog :P

Quote Originally Posted by Magnarr View Post
    - The Old Forest was dangerous and you could get lost
    I use to skip it because it was such a scary place. There are some things to be said about mood and setting. Making it easy so that all players can "enjoy" it totally destroyed that feeling of dread. getting lost in there and wondering if you would ever see the light of day again may have been a touch frustrating but left you with a the desire to go back and master it. Now it's just a good place to farm medium hides.

- The bank was filled with keys
    yeah now it's just full of barter tokens and rep items :P
    - Shard hunting was something of a sport, and they were hard to get
    Oh I had that down. I took a break from the game to go try WAR(big mistake) and at the time I was not sure I would return so I gave away my 3.5 stacks of Beryle shards(they only stacked to 10 at the time)

Irememberwen.... (little joke there)
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I was trying to come up with the title. figured it would just be another one of those things that the old hands could get a little chuckle out of
    Hyper Helegrod Runs.
    Oh yes I loved those runs. Was the first time I got to be dps target assist. I learned that it would display what ever I had selected so there was no more rearranging my pack during the raid :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Oznob View Post
    That quest in Angmar where you had to kill crawlers and the drop rate was horrrrrrrible.
    I think it was 1 in 25 and you needed 12 so you needed to kill like 500 to get them all. heaven forbid if there were 2 people trying to do it at the same time. did that quest 5 times.

here let me add a few more to the list.
    • Misty Mountain Silver(and that was the only place you could find it!)
    • the horrid blue/green that all crafting mats got in one update
    • spending 1.5 gold and a full week to get master Apprentice farmer
    • Stocking up on Coal before the price went way up.
    • Stocking up on Farming Crit mats before the price tripled(I think I still have some of those in my pack to this date)
    • Dwarf iron was used in both tier 4 and tier 5 so it was farmed to death.
    • Sneaking into Riv during the open beta(max lvl 15).

lol and my personal favorite

Pie!

keep em coming you wipper snappers
    Melnordan-Warden,Melainel-Hunter,Mellarain-Loremaster,Zoltrix-Guardian,Xabbu-Minstrel,Melraindor-Runekeeper
    Pie anyone?

You got a discount for buying at the Bree Mayor's Office
    Trestlebridge was attacked by Orcs
    Hunting book pages from Spiders in the Trollshaws and other very specific locations.
    The Maddened Hill Beast instance needed a full fellowship
    Red dye needed Ichor (oh the farming)
    Cooks could buy just about everything they needed from NPCs
    Flying Pets and pets stuck on lamp posts in Esteldin
    Lag so bad you could die by misadventure just trying to enter Esteldin
    No Quest tracker or direction on mini maps and quests that included the wrong directions

Those were the days
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000b8f5f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Vilya ~ Magentica (100)~ Fellannie Cryme (77) ~ Santie CLaws (76) ~ Dimenchia Forgets (66)~ Cylaynna (83) ~Blackforest Riders (65)~ Dandee Lyons (65) ~ Flirtacia Valentine (65) ~Aduck Waddles (27)~Evilmag

I remember when...

I used to play. Thinking of coming back though... any CotS oldtimers still around?

Raisun 50-LM
    Haisun 50-Burg
    Naisun 50-Hunter
    Last edited by Raisun; Sep 06 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Raisun Haisun Daisun ect..

No guardian/warden arguments....

You guys do know we already have a thread for this -- and it's in the Hall of Fame?

-Forjo
    Forjo Atinxan - Elven Guardian, Forjjo Atinxan - Hobbit Minstrel, Forjorin Atinxan - Dwarven Champion, Forjoros Atinxan - Human Captain
    Amistad del Otro, A Casual Arkenstone Kinship - 2 Chalk Street, Derndelf, Shire Homesteads
    See the world - play casually! Now Recruiting! | Support Veterancy!

the forums didnt suck...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001a3804/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I see dead people.....

I saw Irememberwen Wednesday night Good to see him back

Remember the big beryl Shard wars when everyone wanted the 1 time blue gear drops from the instances that was dropping i do believe rep items?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamlex View Post
    Remember the big beryl Shard wars when everyone wanted the 1 time blue gear drops from the instances that was dropping i do believe rep items?
    i won that war! thats how i got famous....

crafted armor was 10g

the exquisite radiance cloak was like 30g

helegrod gear when it had a rare chance drop on all random mobs lvl 57-60... and still sold for 30-70g

session play based on how many keeps they got...

warg howl being OP

Burgs being OP

hunter ports being useful and more then just a way to leave an instance....

summoning lvl 5's to the moors good luck little buddy!
    Last edited by Zanishi; Sep 27 2010 at 05:16 AM.
    "There are things that go bump in the night. We're the ones who bump back." -BPRD

I remember these days back in beta LMAO!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INke_dBTuws

Re: I remember when ...

Gnashmaw! Agh I still have 2 gnashmaw's tongues in my stash and I can't bring myself to part with them... people used to fight over the spawn!

Lethal Sharp Dread Webbed Turtle Claws!

I remember when they brought down Thorog for the first time right here on Vilya.

I definitely remember making tons of friends, some of which are still around after 2 1/2 years.

Becoming an officer in the Forsaken was a great experience, and being the rising star captain in Conviction for a little while*

(*until that time I blew up ALL THE HUNTERS fighting Thorog and my stock took a big hit X'D although nobody ever brought it up, I knew that they knew I did it o_0. How does a fear effect get through on a captain with muster courage and a stack of 20 potions!!)

I remember Thomass and the gold-farmers and competing with them for crafting materials.

I remember Forged by Fire before it was powerful :-D. Miss you Rutgor :'-(

Grouping with tons of kinships in the ettenmoors, fighting Skaithe's warg pack. The Oculus of Nex too...

I remember lots of entertaining drama on the Vilya forums...

Good times.

-Calidore
    Last edited by knight709; Sep 28 2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: signature

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrMagic View Post

On my first Balrog attempt Arestor testing the green water in the Everseerer's room to see if it would kill him....
    Hah, I still use this as my "well at least I didn't do what Arestor did!" excuse whenever anyone teases me for DFing during the Balrog fight.

I remember a VA run when Kayowen's screen went blank due to dread while we were huddling up in the circle before the Balrog, and everyone was helping her with "turn right... no, more right... back left a bit... go straight... turn right..."

People hitting the advice channel in Evendim looking for the location of the boars.

Stealthed burgs on horseback.

Stealthed burgs motorboating across the lake in Evendim.

Camouflaged hunters learning how to move and stay hidden.

A certain kin leader publicly going just a tad nuts for a while there. I know, that doesn't really narrow it down any.

Thumbs down Re: I remember when ...

I remember when I first met Irememberwen....

When they "fixed" the battle screams...
    When no-one had been to Rivendel yet...
    When you fell and actually limped. Now we pimp walk, haha...
    When there was a lovely silver node on the side of Weathertop...that would kill you...
    When dying from falling damaged your gear...
    When your feet turned IN when riding a mount...
    When I found my first elite~er~when it found me~doing the Staddle brigand quest, waiting in the farm for nightfall, and they all spawn on TOP of me...Surprise!!
    When LM did not have a lynx...or DPS....or a res...
    When I saw and fought my very first troll...
    When we could go visit the happy little squirrels, and other off-map goodies...
    When "small fellowship" really did mean not solo....
    When everyone was waiting for housing and rushing to make sure to get a house in the same neighborhood as the kin....
    When we could do the CHAIR TRAIN!!!
    When I had to stop playing because the game made me want to watch the movies again...and again...~wait...that still happens...
    When
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilhite View Post
    A certain kin leader publicly going just a tad nuts for a while there. I know, that doesn't really narrow it down any.
    Just a tad....

Quote Originally Posted by Raisun View Post
    I used to play. Thinking of coming back though... any CotS oldtimers still around?
    Raisun 50-LM
    Haisun 50-Burg
    Naisun 50-Hunter
    HEY!!! "irememberyou" lol...Haven't seen you in FOREVER!!! How ya doin? ((hugs))
    [B][COLOR=#6495ed]"You cannot pass," he said. "I am a[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00bfff]Servant of the Secret Fire[/COLOR][COLOR=#6495ed], wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. You cannot pass."[U][I]The Fellowship of the Ring II 5: "The Bridge of Khazad-dûm"[/I][/U][/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][COLOR=#5f1fff][B]Athene~Vilya~85 LM[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.sotsfire.com/"][B][COLOR=#7b68ee]SOTSFire.com [/COLOR][/B][/URL]

I remember when...
    I could df in combat,
    Back when etched beryl jewelry was 15 gold...
    Back when I thought I was done pve grinding....

I remember when I could glitch one shots on my warg and kill people in rez circle.

Lulz.

I remember ... the laughs. the kindred spirits.
    The OoN.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0100000997dd/signature.png]Shadowlily[/charsig][color=silver]
    ♥ ♥ I flare magnificently, burn immediately.
    I give you the end of the world,
    nameless songs and endless dreams. ♥ ♥[/color]

I was in downtown Bree the other day and thinking of this thread. Remember when the Bree crafting hall was where the jail is now?

I was in downtown Bree the other day and thinking of this thread. Remember when the Bree crafting hall was where the jail is now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast